Recently, (like 2 weeks ago) I had the opportunity to chat with Brittany McGarry, a volunteer engagement specialist at the MS Society about the effects of this unprecedented year. What have we learned and where do we go from here? In this VPT episode, Brittany shares her thoughts and suggestions for:
- Where do we go in 2021?
- How are volunteer managers viewed?
- How to engage volunteers quickly.
- How forced opportunities can help us navigate the future.
- How a simple coffee hour changed everything.
- What volunteers really want.
- What volunteer retention is built upon.
- Why complicated does not mean better.
- How to use surveys to your advantage.
- Why we shouldn’t provide quick volunteer assignments.
- How volunteer journey mapping takes patience.
- How elevating volunteers means letting go (in a good way)
- Advice to leaders of volunteers
.Brittany McGarry is a Volunteer Engagement Specialist with the National MS Society. With a background in Higher Education and her passion for volunteering, she stumbled into nonprofit work and found the perfect niche in this field. She serves as a Board Member with DOVIA Colorado and the Event Chair for the Colorado Conference on Volunteerism. She welcomes connections, brainstorming and opportunities and can be reached at email@example.com.
iHeart Radio here
Apple podcasts here
Google podcasts here
Thank you, Brittany for your honesty, for your flexibility and willingness to learn and for sharing your experiences with us. You inspire us to dig deeper, to try new things and to look forward. I’m motivated to make 2021 a better year. Appreciate you!